Should the followers of God have marital sex on the Sabbath day? This question is faced by many people who aim to keep all the commandments of God (Torah observant believers included and those who embrace the entire word of God as His instructions). The desire to follow his commandments in every detail eventually provokes many questions, including this one.
Sex on the Sabbath
When searching on the internet, the consensus is in favour of sexual intercourse on the Sabbath day. The teaching embodies the union between a man and a woman as spiritual. This spiritual union then allows intercourse on a spiritual day.
The Spirit within me would not rest with that answer, and the only way I know how to settle the Spirit is through obtaining an answer from the Word of God. Just as we see Daniel did in his study of Jeremiah’s writings (Daniel 9:2).
To have or not have sex on the Sabbath is presented in Exodus 19 & 20.
10. And the LORD said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes,Exodus 19:10-15 (KJV)
11. And be ready against the third day: for the third day the LORD will come down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai.
12. And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death:
13. There shall not an hand touch it, but he shall surely be stoned, or shot through; whether it be beast or man, it shall not live: when the trumpet soundeth long, they shall come up to the mount.
14. And Moses went down from the mount unto the people, and sanctified the people; and they washed their clothes.
15. And he said unto the people, Be ready against the third day: come not at your wives.
God spoke to Moses and commanded him to sanctify the people in Exodus 19:10 and Moses as part of the sanctification process commanding the Israelites not to come at their wives (have sexual intercourse) in Exodus 19:15. The words I will focus on here are “sanctify” and “come”.
|Sanctify||H6942||קָדַשׁ||qâdash||clean, purify, to be holy, hallow|
|Come||H5066||נָגַשׁ||nâgash||to lie with a woman|
In Exodus 20:8, God commanded that his Sabbath day be kept holy.
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.Exodus 20:8 (KJV)
Despite sanctify and holy being translated using two different words in English, they are the same word in Hebrew. Part of the sanctification process is not having sexual intercourse with your wives on the Sabbath.
The Sabbath appears to be a particularly sexually-heated day; consequently, entering into a marriage and controlling yourself on the Sabbath day is a struggle between the flesh and holiness. The Word of God nonetheless is clear on what He expects, and therefore we have a titanic battle on our hands to be righteous.
Some still will mangle logic and the evidence presented to justify themselves having sexual intercourse on the Sabbath. They will succumb to the power of the flesh and justify it to themselves with any shred of flawed logic they can find.
Many people will err and succumb to the flesh using flawed justifications and compromise the word of God in their lust.
Another passage from the book of Jubilees for those who have extended beyond the protestant Christian 66-Book Bible.
And the man that does any work on it shall die: whoever desecrates that day, whoever lies with (his) wife, or whoever says he will do something on it, that he will set out on a journey thereon in regard to any buying or selling: and whoever draws water thereon which he had not prepared for himself on the sixth day, and whoever takes up any burden to carry it out of his tent or out of his house shall die.Jubilees 50:8
Some will consider remaining unmarried, and it is great to be an example to others and focus on proclaiming the Word of God. However, suppose you cannot contain yourself. In that case, it is better to marry instead of sinning and to receive the ultimate death (Some people have likened the word burn in the following passage to burning with lust, but rather this is referring to the burning in the lake of fire).
8. I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.1 Corinthians 7:8-9 (KJV)
9. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
The world we live in is engineered to fight against the Word of God, but the Word of God is clear if we want to serve the God of heaven.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.Romans 12:2 (KJV)
Without personal study and earnest prayer for the blessings and understanding provided by God, the scriptures will be a closed book to even the learned—well educated. The scriptures will not yield their secrets because God will not give his secrets to those who do not seek him and keep His commandments.
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.1 John 2:4 (KJV)