Building a relationship with the Most High God is the essential goal anyone can have. Many people believe in the biblical God, although their investment in that relationship may leave something to be desired. This post focuses on examining and improving one’s relationship with God.
Consider the meaning of the following passage.
13. Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.Matthew 7:13-14 KJV
The meaning may seem evident at first glance, especially to those who have encountered this passage. Many people have read it reasonably quickly and casually without looking for a deeper understanding.
From my perspective, the point this passage aims to convey is that only a few people would enter the kingdom of heaven. Many people would be caught up in the world and miss the narrow path. Still, there is something crucial that must be highlighted.
To find, you must first search.
The simple concept of finding something implies that a search must come first.
Only the people who search it out have any chance of finding that narrow path.
Find your relationship with God
The Bible has highlighted in the passage under examination that “strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it”. Few will find that path, but even fewer will search for the way.
There are many people on the benches of churches worldwide. Despite the current exodus of young people seen through the closure of many churches, religions have no shortage of members. A growing number of people find themselves in agnosticism and atheism. Despite which category one finds themself in, everyone experiences encounters with God.
There are no lukewarm servants of God. Therefore, you are either in or out. God commands us to search him out with more dedication than we search for money.
6. Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
7. Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.Isaiah 55:6-7 KJV
The lukewarm serve God one day and the other day live in sin. The intermittent followers are no followers since breaking one commandment breaks them all.
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.Revelation 3:16 (KJV)
The list of those who must re-evaluate their relationship with God includes but is limited to the following:
- Pretenders – Those who maintain a facade of belief and piety while knowing they do not believe in God under that thin veil. Continually these people keep up the pretence in the efforts to fool those around them but only deceive themselves. Their pride stops them from bending their knee in humility to God.
- Bench-warmers – The ones who sit on the church benches out of habit instead of love. They invest nothing in God: no time, no money, no study, and not even keeping the commandments. Investing tithing into religion is not the same as investing money into God. Bench-warmers are like dead husks parading as living beings.
- Hypocrites – Speaking platitudes towards God in the eyes of men while living a secret life opposing him in thoughts and actions. They see the world for themselves instead of giving their lives over to God by letting go of the world.
- The coerced & duped compliant – These people are compelled, manipulated or tricked into serving a religion under the guise they serve God.
- The willfully ignorant – These people are not interested in investing an ounce of effort into getting to know God. They have the opportunity, resources (no matter how little), time, and ability, but they choose not to search for God.
- Coveters of this world – These people desire everything in the world. Chasing Covet
- Fearful – These are the ones who claim to believe in God except when it is time to stand in the face of persecution. They refuse to give their lives and do not trust, or have faith, in the promises of God.
If we have a choice, we must choose to have a relationship with God. Choice implies action; therefore, we must initiate and maintain that relationship.
There are many deceivers in the world who people rely on to lead them in the correct direction. A pastor’s emotional sermons, superficial wise insights, and funny jokes every week. Influencers pushing motivational speeches about God, money, and life. So many teachers could not recognise righteousness from the deception of riches.
Those who compromise when things get too hard will be defeated. The ones who give up when God goes in another direction from what they want will not enter the kingdom. The people who use the world to bend the understanding of the scriptures will also miss out. Anyone who relies on the world of science & technology, the news media, their friends, and any external source besides God will fall.
We must all reach out to God and never put our faith in man. If you are in this position, you must re-evaluate your relationship with God.
Prayer & Fasting
Denying the flesh to focus on the spiritual. Afflicting your soul to magnify the spirit and the nature of God.
Denying the flesh brings you into synchronicity with God. Removing the focus from physical desires and placing it on spiritual things.
Wisdom comes from God, and he gives freely to those who seek him.
Apostates & deceivers
21. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23. And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.Matthew 7:21-23 (KJV)
Why would someone who prophesied, cast out devils, and did many works in the name of God be surprised when Jesus says, “I never knew you: depart for me, ye that work iniquity”?
If that person is a worker of iniquity, then they are no worker for God. Did they lose sight, or were they just deceivers to begin with?
Apostate: Not staying the course
Staying the course is critical, and those who do not suffer the fate of those who never even tried.
But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.Ezekiel 18:24 KJV
The race is not for the swift but for those who endure till the end. Choosing the side of God is not only for the good times, but it is a commitment for your entire life. (Ezekiel 3:20, Ezekiel 33:13-15)
Deceivers: Never worked for God
Many people in religions and otherwise claim to serve God but do not. They control the entrance and exits of their sphere of influence, spewing doctrines of devils and deceiving many.
22. And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.
23. And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
24. And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
25. And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
26. And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.Mark 3:22-26 KJV
No kingdom that fights against itself can stand, and God does not fight against himself, nor does Satan.
Serving God requires the courage to take the steps where he leads. It requires being relentless and bold!
Everyone stumbles, but not everyone gets back up. God requires you to get back up and achieve his perfection through his guidance.
We must all pursue God and never turn back despite an occasional stumble. We must aim to be pure and righteous, eliminating the quest for the flesh and living in the Spirit of God.
Courage will bring loneliness because many people who do not have it will be left by the wayside. They will also delight in your downfall, and their pride will destroy their soul.
Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.Daniel 12:10 KJV
If your relationship with God depends on others, you need to re-evaluate that relationship. Put your fate in your own hands, and do not let purveyors of deception turn you away from God. Do not wait for anyone; take the mantle for yourself and lead the way with God as your light.