So will I make my holy name known in the midst of my people Israel; and I will not let them pollute my holy name any more: and the heathen shall know that I am Yahuah, the Holy One in Israel.Ezekiel 39:7 (KJV)
This post is intended to show a different understanding of what is the name of Elohim. This topic, although discussed many times throughout the centuries, is often concluding with an understanding that has completely missed the point or only applicable on one level. The name of Elohim is critical to our salvation, and therefore we know what it is.
There are many teachings and testimonies on the name of Elohim. The superficial understanding has spread like poison and led many people down the wrong road, increasing the occupants of hell.
13. Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.Isaiah 5:13-14 (KJV)
14. Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.
Do we need to know the name of Elohim?
The following verses give us an understanding of why it is of the utmost importance to know the name of Elohim if we intend to enter his kingdom.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of Elohim shall be saved.Romans 10:13
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of Elohim shall be saved.Acts 2:21
If it were as simple as knowing a word, then everyone would be saved. We know from the scriptures that the number of people saved would be very few and therefore we must conclude there is more to the matter.
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.Matthew 7:14 (KJV)
The polysemic and equivocal nature of the Bible
The Word of Elohim is powerful, and his voice, when spoken, has many levels of understanding. The Bible is written to be understood and misunderstood with the secrets in it open to only the righteous and the wise.
Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.Daniel 12:10 (KJV)
And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of Elohim: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.Luke 8:10 (KJV)
Here are a few examples where on the surface, the Bible shows one understanding, but it turns out everything is not so simple.
Do names have meaning?
And Moses said unto Elohim, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring upExodus 33:12
this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight.
And Elohim said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.Exodus 33:17
So here we see that Elohim knows the name of Moses, and because He knows the name, Moses has found grace in his eyes. Based on these verses, it appears that to know someone constitutes more than the simple understanding of the lettered name. Should we assume that grace was given to Moses because he was named Moses or because of something else? We can safely conclude that names carry meaning besides that of the letter.
Why did Elohim’s know Moses’s name?
14. And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in HaMaschiach Yahusha.1 Timothy 1:14-16 (KJV)
15. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that HaMaschiach Yahusha came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
16. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Yahusha HaMaschiach might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
We now see that through grace, Elohim is longsuffering, and if we believe on him, we will obtain everlasting life. To receive eternal life is stating that your name is written in the book of life.
The following passage further highlights that if Elohim knows your name, at that point, it is written in the book of life.
22. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?Matthew 7:22-25 (KJV)
23. And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25. And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
Not knowing your name is paralleled with you being a worker of iniquity which is the same as being unlawful (In some cases I argue that iniquity is equivalent to being unequal or having false judgements which are still facets of the law). In contrast, Elohim knowing your name would mean you are righteous (lawful) — living in the will of Elohim.
7. Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.Revelation 19:7-9 (KJV)
8. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
9. And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of Elohim.
So Moses was righteous?
Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.Numbers 12:3
Here we see that Moses was a meek (humble) man; in fact, he was the most humble man on the face of the earth.
But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.Psalms 37:11
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.Matthew 5:5
Here we see that the meek are the ones that will inherit the earth. They are the ones who are found righteous in the sight of Elohim and whose names are written in the book of life.
9. Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of Elohim? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,1 Corinthians 6:9-10
10. Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of Elohim.
The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.Psalms 37:29
Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified.Isaiah 60:21
Then answered I and said, O Lord that bearest rule, thou hast ordained in thy law, that the righteous should inherit these things, but that the ungodly should perish.2 Esdras 7:17
Here we see that the meek — the righteous, shall inherit the earth and receive eternal life. Whereas the Word of Elohim doesn’t have divisions, however, even when using the man-made classifications the Old Testament, New Testament and Apocrypha all agree.
The popular understanding of the name of Elohim
Yahuah and his son have been called many lettered names including the following:
Prayers over the ages have ended with the phrase, “In Jesus name, Amen”. Substituting Jesus with any of the lettered names amounts to the same thing. The following passages are the fundamental reason why this is done.
13. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.John 14:13-14 (KJV)
14. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.Romans 10:13 (KJV)
If knowing only the lettered name is the requirement to be saved, then most of the world would be. We understand that the path is narrow, and only those who call upon the name will be saved leads to the understanding that “calling upon the name” is not just about saying the word. As it stands, billions have called upon the lettered name.
13. Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:Matthew 7:13-14 (KJV)
14. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
I was convicted recently of using the Hebrew name of the Most High and his son. This usage is both to avoid confusion of who I am speaking about and out of respect. Despite this, the fact remains that using just the word is not enough.
What is the son’s name and is it the same as the Father?
12. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.Revelation 19:12-13 (KJV)
13. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of Elohim.
Here the Bible speaks of Yahusha in Revelation and states that he had a name written that no man knew, but he himself. Then goes on to say that his name is called The Word of Elohim in the very next verse.
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.John 1:14 (KJV)
Here we see that the Word was made flesh. The Son of Elohim — Yahusha. The following verses will show that Yahusha came to do the will of the Father and his actions reflect the Father’s wishes.
Then said Yahusha unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.John 8:28 (KJV)
Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Yahusha answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.John 8:19 (KJV)
The son does only the will of the Father. They are the same, if not in body, in their will. The name of the son is the name of the Father. This post will not address the doctrine of the Trinity or the lack thereof but rather focus on the name of Elohim.
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.1 John 5:7 (KJV)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Elohim, and the Word was Elohim.John 1:1 (KJV)
They are one — their will is one — their name is one.
8. Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.John 14:8-10 (KJV)
9. Yahusha saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
10. Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Then answered Yahusha and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.John 5:19 (KJV)
Yahusha answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.John 8:49 (KJV)
Yahusha answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your Elohim:John 8:54 (KJV)
What is Elohim’s name?
Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man’s blood upon us.Acts 5:28 (KJV)
The name is the will of Elohim and following his instructions, his commandments — his doctrine. When we follow his law and his will (the doctrine that was taught all over Jerusalem in the name of Yahusha) this constitutes as righteousness and the demonstration of love for Elohim. The doctrine that is the son is that of the Father.
Yahusha answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.John 14:23 (KJV)
To receive the gifts of Elohim, including eternal life, or an answer to our prayers, we must abide in his name. We need to keep the commandments and live in his will and then and only then will Elohim hear us and ultimately give us salvation, and we inherit his kingdom.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.2 Chronicles 7:14 (KJV)
9. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.Matthew 6:9-10 (KJV)
10. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.